News
 
 
« All the News
WaSH Initiative in small and medium towns: Agreement signed
7/05/2010

Addis Ababa – An official ceremony took place on May 7th at MoFED office, to sign a bilateral agreement between Ethiopia and Italy for the project “WASH in Small and Medium Towns”. The agreement was signed by H.E. Ato Ahmed Shide, State Minister of Ministry of Finance and Economic Development, on behalf of the Government of Ethiopia and H.E. Raffaele de Lutio, the Ambassador of Italy in Ethiopia, for the Italian side. Representatives of the Ministry of Water Resources, of the Water Resources Development Fund and of the Italian Development Cooperation attended the event.  

The ceremony marked the launch of a cooperation initiative aimed at improving the access to water supply services as well as health and hygienic conditions in five small and medium towns in Oromia, SNNPR, Amhara and Tigray. The “WASH in Small and Medium Towns” is financed with an Italian grant of 6,150,000 Euro. 90% of this contribution will be directly managed by the Government of Ethiopia through its Water Resources Development Fund. The remaining 10% is provided in form of technical assistance by the Italian Development Cooperation. The regional and local authorities involved will also co-finance the initiative from their respective budgets with a total contribution estimated in excess of 59,000,000 Birr. The pre-selected towns are Huruta, Limu Genet, Durame, Bati and Humera. After a planning phase needed to confirm the selection and design the works, their respective Town Water Utilities will receive subsidised loans from the Water Resources Development Fund for rehabilitating, constructing and expanding water networks, upgrading public sanitation infrastructures and enhancing their capacity in managing, operating and maintaining the towns’ water systems in a sustainable and affordable way.

The project “WASH in Small and Medium Towns” is part of the Italian contribution to the National WASH Programme. A further WASH project, to be implemented in the rural areas of the Oromia Region and financed with a contribution of 1,910,000 Euro from the Government of Italy, has began this April. Both these projects are part of the Ethio-Italian Cooperation Framework 2009-2011 signed by the two Governments in April 2009.







 



Copyright © 2015 itacaddis.org. All rights reserved.